Friday, November 30, 2007

Open Records Challange

For the assignment I contacted the City Clerk's Office of Pittsburgh to obtain the minutes for the last two city council meetings. When I called I requested the minutes and was asked to wait a moment. The woman on the phone, Denise Wilson, called me maam and was very polite. In less than a minute she had acquired the information, telling me they are available on their web site. I asked for her name, which she gave readily and without question.

The experience was painless. I had already found their website to look for the appropriate number to call and followed links to find the minutes for the last two minutes. Although she did not give me the exact site, I had not requested it and if prompted I'm sure she would have provided me with the information.

I was surprised she didn't want to know my name or why I was calling. I expected her to be rude and resistant in giving out the information. It was refreshing not to be met with these reactions.

No comments: