Walking into the office at the Indiana County Humane Society, I briefly explained my assignment to an employee. After she directed me to the trailer next to the building, I knocked on the door asking to speak to Valerie. Opening the door, I was greeted by a small and very excited pup who was as eager to know who I was as I was eager to get some information.
During a short interview with Valerie Smith, director at Indiana Humane Society, I received their 2006 intake and release statisics. She explained many things to me, including why cats are only to be taken in twice a month, on the first and third Monday of each month. This is because cats can a communicable respiratory disease for which their is no treatment. They are quarantined for two weeks to test for feline leukemia as well. The test for feline leukemia alone costs $50 which makes the cost of a cat ($100) seem like quite the bargain.
I was also informed that the Humane Society has a foster program which provides older animals with homes for free to inside homes, provided that they update the Humane Society on visits to the vet.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment