Thursday, November 29, 2007

My experience with open records

I contacted the Indiana Borough secretary at 724-465-6691 and asked how I could get access to the meetings from the most recent two borough council meetings. She said that I could come the municipal building and get copies for a price per sheet, though she was not sure how much it would cost. I asked for the office’s hours, and went right away. A woman at the window when I got there told me that I could not get copies in this office, but I told her I was instructed in advance to come there for that purpose. She questioned that, but eventually went to get the woman I had talked to on the telephone earlier, who confirmed that I could get the minutes there. I waited for about 15 minutes while she retrieved them and figured out how much to charge for them. There was an oral agreement about how much the copies should cost, which turned out to be 35 cents per sheet, a total of $2.10 for the two meetings’ worth of minutes. I could not get the secretary’s name when I asked. The office did not put up too much of an argument, but I did feel a bit like an unwelcome nuisance.

No comments: